Saturday, February 22, 2014

Mermaid and the Pirate

In late 2012, I was approached by a local comic company to draw a comic based on the 1975 anime movie "Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid", obviously based on the fairytale of the same name. It was meant to be for their manga anthology, so I was asked to draw in a traditional manga style similar to the movie.







The story was meant to be a sort of unofficial continuation of the movie and I was intended to draw 6 pages an issue.
I was asked to also ink and possibly add some screentones as you would normally see in manga to give it that authentic feel. Although they were only 6 pages, it took me about a good year to finish due to other projects I had been working on around the same time along with a full-time job.

A good lesson to be learned from this is: to not take too many projects at once, for it will take a toll on your productivity.

However, once everything was finished, the company ended up not publishing the pages for they felt the art and designs looked too similar to the movie.

Another lesson to be learned: make sure you have a good understanding of what you're getting yourself into before you waste a lot of time on it.

Despite not being published, I had fun working on this. It just felt good to draw comics again.
The inks and screentones were done in Manga Studio, which was the first time I've used the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment